Wednesday, June 29, 2016

A Field Hospital at the Battle of Perryville, Kentucky

From: tm4me.org


Dr. Charles Todd Quintard 's description of a field hospital at the Battle of Perryville, Kentucky:

"When the wounded were brought to the rear, at three o’clock in the afternoon, I took my place as a surgeon…and throughout the rest of the day and until half past five the next morning, without food or any sort, I was incessantly occupied with the wounded.  It was a horrible night I spent,--God save me from such another….

"About half past five in the morning of the 9th, I dropped—I could do no more.  I went out by myself and leaning against a fence, I wept like a child.  And all that day I was so unnerved that if any one asked me about the regiment, I could make no reply without tears…The total loss of the Confederates …was 510 killed, 2,635 wounded and 251 captured or missing, and of this loss a great part was sustained by our regiment (the Rock City Guards from Nashville)."

Doctor Quintard, Chaplain C.S.A. and Second Bishop of Tennessee, edited by Sam Davis Elliott,  Louisana State University Press, Baton Rouge.  2003

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Facebook Twitter Delicious Stumbleupon Favorites