Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Palmer Patent Leg: Primary Source Texts

From: nineteenthcenturydisability.org


Brigadier-General Bartlett.

[This gallant General has risen from the rank of Captain while using the Palmer Leg in the service. Amputation above the knee.]

                                                                                    Boston, Mass., January 6, 1865.

Dear Sir: I have now used the Palmer Leg (full length) for more than two years. During most of that time I have been on active duty in the field. It has stood the severe test of campaigning, exposure to all weathers, and constant use in the saddle, admirably; not better than I had hoped, but far better than I expected. I have never been kept off duty an hour by any fault in its mechanism. I willingly bear testimony to its merits, and express my satisfaction with the result of the test to which I have subjected it. (It is not bullet-proof—few legs are!)

                                                I am, sir, very respectfully,

                                                                        W.F. Bartlett,

                                                                                    Brigadier-General


***

James S. Stackhouse, Esq.

                                                                                    Philadelphia, January 9, 1865.

Dr. B. Frank. Palmer.

Dear Sir: On the 22d of April, 1857, it was my misfortune to lose a foot and ankle-joint by a railroad accident. Since wearing your Artificial Leg, I have, the greater portion of the time, been employed on the Pennsylvania Central Railroad in the capacity of conductor, and in the position have run, at different times, the most difficult trains on the road (accommodation trains[1]), from the fact of these requiring greater activity on the part of the conductor, such as jumping on and off at stations, passing quickly through the train from one car to another, &c. It affords me great pleasure to add my testimony to the superiority of your limb. In fact I can scarcely realize that I have suffered so severe a loss as that of a foot. During the six years I have worn the leg I have thoroughly tested it in the most trying position in which a leg, particularly an artificial leg, can be used, and am happy to say I have never found it wanting. Should you wish to refer any parties to me for information concerning the good qualities of my limb, I would be happy to see them at my residence, No. 1344 Coates Street.

                                                         I remain yours, truly,

                                                                 Jas. S. Stackhouse,

                                                                                                Conductor P.R.R.[2]


****

The Opinion of a Lady

[Syme Operation.][3]

Irving House, Twelfth Street, Near Broadway,

New York, January 12, 1865.

Dear Doctor: Having derived so much benefit from your skill in the adaptation of an artificial foot, I cannot refrain from expressing my gratitude—daily increasing as it is—for I more and more experience the ease and facility movement through your invaluable invention.

The 17th of last March my foot was amputated. The period of deep distress, and the frightful future of helplessness then opening before me in my 22d year, can only be realized by those of similar sad experiences. Unfortunately, not a few, in this day of crippled humanity from war’s sad footprints, will understand me.

When Dr. Olcott,[4] of Brooklyn, after close investigation of the subject, made me acquainted with your wonderful invention, I confess I had but little faith in the possibility of so far repairing my loss; but, from your care, I found myself not only able to throw aside my crutches, but was surprised immediately to find myself an independent walker. The second day of the trial I walked, without crutch or cane, full two miles; and now, after five months’ use, part of that time travelling, I find that I can run up and down stairs, walk without limping, and, with a perfect feeling of security, make my way through the crowds of a metropolis; indeed my most intimate friends would scarcely suspect the presence of an artificial foot.

It would be an easy matter to conceal my loss, were I so disposed; but my sympathy with the unfortunate, and my gratitude to you, my dear Doctor, forbids anything of the kind; and I ask you to permit me to offer my public testimony to your skill, and will ever hold myself ready to gladly respond to any inquiries from those who may be interested.

                                                I remain yours, gratefully,

                                                            Mrs. John B. Eagan.

Notes

[1] Local trains that make frequent stops, often carrying both passengers and freight.
[2] The Pennsylvania Railroad, founded in 1846.
[3] An amputation technique pioneered by James Syme (1799-1870), which removed the foot by disarticulating the ankle, removing the malleoli, and using a heel flap to cover the ends of the tibia and fibula.
[4] Cornelius Olcott, who graduated from the Medical Department of the University of the City of New York in 1849 and practiced at 104 Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn.

Contributor Caroline Lieffers Collection

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Facebook Twitter Delicious Stumbleupon Favorites