In the Civil War, there was steamship "Star of the West" which was used by the Confederate States Navy as "CSS Saint Philip", serving as a naval station and hospital ship.
Awards, Citations and Campaign Ribbons: Civil War Medal
Built in 1852 as the brigantine=rigged sidewheel steamer SS San Juan by Jeremiah Simonson, Greenpoint, N. Y. for $250,000
Renamed SS Star of the West, date unknown, operated passenger service between New York and California
Chartered by the Federal Government in January and April 1861 to carry reinforcements to Fort Sumter at Charleston, S.C. and to carry troops from Texas to New York
Captured by the Confederate Army steamer CSS General Rusk, 17 April 1861, off Indianola, TX.
Renamed CSS St. Philip employed by the Confederate Navy as a receiving ship at New Orleans
Sunk by Confederate forces to obstruct the channel of the Tallahatchie River, March 1863
Displacement 1,172 t.
Length 228' 4"
Beam 32' 8"
Depth of Hold 24' 6"
Speed 11.5 kts
two vertical beam steam engines
Contributed By Tommy Trampp
Image: Engraving of SS Star of the West underway with Fort Sumter Charleston S. C. in the background, circa 1860.