Monday, April 11, 2016

Artificial Respiration Performed on President Lincoln

Excerpted from: "History of the Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (Part One)

Abraham Lincoln’s assassination took place on Friday, April 14 in Washington, DC 18651 C., when the American Civil War came to an end. The murder occurred five days after the commander of the Army of Northern Virginia Robert E. Lee surrendered his troops to General Ulysses S. Grant and the Army of the Potomac. Lincoln was the first U.S. president to be assassinated.

The sixteenth U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was shot in the head while attending to the representation of the play “Our American Cousin” by Tom Taylor, Ford’s Theatre in Washington D. C., with his wife and two guests. Lincoln died the next morning following the shooting received.

Charles Leale, a young military surgeon license attended the theater, went through the crowd towards the presidential box. The door opened and Rathbone not realized that was blocked by a piece of wood. He removed the bolt and opened to Leale.

Leale entered the box and found in abundance Rathbone bled a deep wound throughout her forearm. It did not stop and went directly to Lincoln, slumped in his seat and secured by Mary. The President had no pulse and Leale him for dead and laid him on the floor.

A second doctor who was also among the public, Charles Sabin Taft, arrived at the scene by climbing over the railing of the box. Leale Taft and cut the collar of Lincoln and opened it, then, Leale made the following acts: “A”, “B” and “C”

Method “A” “... As the President made no move to revive then, I thought of another way of death, apnea, and I assumed my preferred position for him with artificial respiration to revive …” “… I knelt on the floor on the President, with one knee on each side of the pelvis and in front of him. I leaned forward, opened my mouth and inserted two fingers of his right hand as far as possible .. . and then I opened the larynx and I did a free passage for air to enter the lungs … “

Method “B”: “… I put an assistant in each of his arms to manipulate in order to expand the chest and then slowly pushed his arms down the side of the body as I pressed the diaphragm above: These methods caused the vacuum and air is forced out of their lungs … “

Method “C”: “… Also with the thumb and fingers of my right hand pressure intermittent sliding pressure below the ribs stimulated the apex of the heart …”

In this way, Dr. Leale made 3 moves correctly described later as “A, BC” of CPR. The “A” or “Airway” is to leave the open air for ventilation, the “B” or “Breathing” the act of venting and “C” or “Circulation” promote circulation.

“… Convinced that something must be done to preserve life, I leaned forward to apply force directly on your body, chest, chest, face to face, and several times made a long sigh, which is force expanded his lungs and his breathing improved … “Charles Augusto Leale”

Felt it and found the wound left on the back of the skull near the left ear. Remove a blood clot, which the injured person to breathe again. However, Leale knew that this recovery was only temporary and said, “His wound is mortal. It will be impossible to cure. “

Dr. Leale, Taft and another doctor named Albert King quickly agreed and decided that the President could not be brought to the White House because of the tumbling of the carriages. After considering driving to a nearby saloon of Peter Taltavull, decided to take him to a house opposite the theater, known as the Pension Petersen. The three doctors and soldiers who attended the show took the President to the entrance. Across the street, a man holding a lantern and said, “Bring him here!, Bring it here!” It was Henry Safford, a resident of the house of William Petersen (Petersen pension) which was outside the theater . Men charged to Lincoln to the pension and put it on the bed in a room on the second floor.

The wounded vigil held in the pension Petersen. The three doctors were joined by Army Surgeon General Joseph K. U.S. Barnes, Dr. Charles Henry Crane, Dr. Anderson Ruffin Abbott and Dr. Robert K. Stone. Crane was the assistant Barnes and Stone, Lincoln’s personal physician. The president’s sons, Robert and Thomas Lincoln joined them, as Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles and Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton.

While Mary Lincoln wept one of the lounges, Stanton was installed in another and took command of the U.S. government, sending and receiving telegrams, reading the statements of witnesses and the prosecution of organized Booth. Nothing more could be done for the wounded, at 7:22 am on April 15th, Lincoln died at the age of 56 years, 2 months and 3 days.

See citations at


Post a Comment


Facebook Twitter Delicious Stumbleupon Favorites