Sunday, May 10, 2015

‘I Am Not Long For This World': An Irish-American Soldier Says Goodbye to His Family

From: irishamericancivilwar.com, 3-11-15


On 23rd February 1864, George Carl of the 7th Ohio Infantry sat by the bed of William Brophy of the 29th Pennsylvania, in the Union General Hospital at Bridgeport, Alabama. William’s end was near, and both men knew it. The soldier was suffering from chronic diarrhea, a cause of death that was listed for thousands of soldiers during the war. Unable to write himself, William dictated a letter to George, addressing his last thoughts to his wife back home in Philadelphia.

Although William Brophy is recorded as being born in England in the 1860 Census, there is little doubt that he was a member of the Irish-American community. Quite a number of pension files demonstrate earlier Irish emigration to England and Scotland prior to the ultimate move to the United States. William’s wife Bridget (née Mulhall) had been born in Ireland, and all the affidavits associated with the pension claim were provided by individuals bearing Irish surnames. The couple had been married at St. James Church, Philadelphia on 14th February 1858. It appears that William had been married previously, as he had two sons whose birth pre-dated the union; Andrew born on 13th July 1851 and Michael born on the 12th March 1854. Bridget gave birth to a daughter, Mary Ann, on the 3rd October 1861. Mary Ann had not yet arrived into the world when 32-year-old William marched off to war. He had enlisted in Company D of the 29th Pennsylvania Infantry on 8th July 1861.

William saw long and arduous service with the regiment over the course of the next few years, surviving a number of engagements. But by February 1864 illness looked certain to have done for him. Here is the letter he dictated to George Carl in Bridgeport during those final days:

Bridgeport, Alabama

February 23th /64

Dear Wife

With a sad heart that I write you this morning as it may be the last you ever will hear from me as I feal that I am not long for this world. but it greaves me much that I am not at home whare I could see all your loving faces once more before I leave this troublesome world but as it is gods will to take me away from you I hope that I may be better of in the better land. I hope that god may spare me a little longer but I thaught that I would write so as to have them ready at any moment if any thing should happen

well Dear Wife in regard to that money that James McMinon [owed?] it will not be long before it is dew and I hope that it will be of youse to you as I dont never expect to be thare again but if not in this world I hope in the next whare we will part no more

Well in regard to my backpay and bounty you can get someone to collect it for you as it will be of some youse to you give my love to my children and tell them of their father and to my brother and all friends and that I did not forget them

But I must close for the presant and maby for the last time in this world but hope that god may spare me a little longer but if not I will bid you all fare well hoping to meat you all in heavan

From your

Dear Husband Wm Brophy

George Carl added the following note to the letter three days later, indicated William’s fate, which had befallen him the previous day:

February the 26 1864

Mrs Brophy

Sory to relate that your husbond Wm Brophy died yesterday and is buried hear at Bridgeport

Any information you may want I will give frely as far as I can

No More

George K. Carl

Writer

If you wish to write to me direct to George K. Carl, Co. G. 7. Ohio Regiment, 1st brigade, 2nd Division, 12th Army Corps, Bridgeport Alabamy

When William died very few men from his unit were nearby. Those soldiers of the 29th Pennsylvania who had elected to re-enlist as veteran volunteers had left Bridgeport the previous December, heading home to enjoy their veteran furlough. As William lay dying in the General Hospital in Bridgeport, the majority of his comrades were back in Philadelphia with their loved ones. George Carl, the good Samaritan who wrote the letter for William and informed Bridget of his death, survived his war service. Bridget, who wasn’t yet 30-years-old when her husband died, re-married in 1867, wedding Irish laborer William Donnelly. William Brophy’s children would be unable to hold on to their father’s final words as a keepsake; the letter was submitted by Bridget to the Pension Office in order to claim a pension based on her husband’s service. After the war William’s body was moved to Chattanooga Military Cemetery, where he lies in Section H, Grave 11006.

Image: A hospital ward in a convalescent camp near Alexandria (Library of Congress)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Facebook Twitter Delicious Stumbleupon Favorites