.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Confederate Hospital for Slaves

Transcribed by Thomas P. Lowry
(From an advertising sheet inserted into the May 1861 issue of "The Southern Planter, Devoted to Agriculture, Horticulture and the Household Arts" published in Richmond, Virginia)
  
This hospital is situated near the corner of Main and 26th streets, and is admirably adapted in airiness, privacy and healthiness of position, to the purposes for which it has been instituted, namely: For MEDICAL, SURGICAL, and OBSTETRICAL treatment of SLAVES. The rules and regulations government this institution have already been published. A circular containing all particulars will be furnished those who may desire further information.
TERMS--Patients per week $5; less than a week $1 per diem; but the aggregate shall not exceed the charge for a full week. Patients attending the daily examinations, (not fit subjects for HOSPITAL CONFINEMENT.) charged the regular fee adopted by the profession at large. The above charges include board, medicine, medical attendance and nursing. Surgical operations charged according to rules of other Hospitals of the city. For further information apply to the Physicians resident at the Hospital, or to either of the undersigned Physicians and Proprietors.
FRS. W. HANCOCK, M.D.
Main St., bet. 3rd and 4th, or No. 130 Main st.
ST. GEO. PEACHY, M.D.
Exchange Hotel, or Grace st., bet 5th and 6th
R.S. VEST, M.D.
Franklin Street below Ballard House
PHILIP S. HANCOCK, M.D.
Resident Physician
CYRUS BROOKS
Resident Assistant
Reprinted from "The Journal of Civil War Medicine", April/May/June 2007

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Facebook Twitter Delicious Stumbleupon Favorites